As a PREGNANT or POSTPARTUM woman, are you feeling depressed and/or anxious? Maternal Depression and Anxiety can be experienced during pregnancy and or after delivery of baby (for up to one year) and affects 1 in 5 women. There are potential effects to the whole family, as 10% of partners experience depression and anxiety, more if the mother is depressed. Parental mental health issues can affect child health and development.
Treating anxiety may help to prevent depression. Both are TREATABLE and not your fault!
Signs of anxiety and depression include: Irritability or anger, Excessive worry and guilt, Inability to relax, Hypervigilence, Sleep problems, Sadness, Panic attacks, Repetitive thoughts, Lack of bonding with baby, Crying, Fearfulness, Obsessive intrusive thoughts, Indecisiveness, Thoughts of harm to self or others.
To learn if you may be experiencing depression and or anxiety, do the following for yourself:
1) Answer the 10-question Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Screen (EPDS) Edinburgh Postnatal Depression Screen and Care Guide
2) Share your score and the Care Guide with your healthcare provider to begin the conversation toward healing yours and your child’s mental health and happiness.
3) Continue to:
- Be kind to yourself
- Ask for and accept help with baby and housework
- Keep active – go for a walk
- Get enough sleep – at least 6 hours in 24 hours
- Eat healthy and eat regularly
- Avoid alcohol, tobacco, and drugs
- Take medications as prescribed
- Try yoga or other activities to help you relax
- Look for a support group or other supports in your community
- Talk to a healthcare provider
- Click here to access our Maternal Mental Health Toolkit The MMH Toolkit Booklet
- Deep Belly Breathing
- Meditation and Mindfulness (search YouTube or Pinterest)
4) Breastfeeding resources:
5) Motherisk Information about medications in pregnancy and postpartum.
6) Online Wellbeing CourseThe Online Therapy Unit is led by Dr. Heather Hadjistavropoulos from the University of Regina and is free of charge.
7) Famiy First Maternal Wellness Centre, Regina SK “Inspiring Better Birth & Modern Motherhood!”
8) PSI International 1.800.944.4PPD | SK Postpartum Support International COORDINATORS:
calls and texts welcome
Lloydminster & Surrounding Area
Telephone: 780-872-6094 TEXT OR CALL
This page is a work-in-progress and we welcome suggestions!